- Most, if not all, options ask you for input in a field or select box. Clicking the question places focus on the input field or select box next to it.
- Below every heading is a light green highlighted key-value pair representing the exact json syntax of an option used in the Sublime default preferences file. The value to the option is updated in real time with the option you choose at the end of a section.
- You needn’t use this site only to create a preferences file. It’s also useful as reference and and as a supplement to the explanations in the Sublime Text-supplied default preferences file.
- Every Sublime Text option can be directly accessed on the web page. Precede the option with a hash mark and add the entire string to the end of the url. For example, if you wanted to know more about
wrap_width, you would add
#wrap_width to the page’s url, as such:
http://www.create-sublime-text-user-preferences-file.org/#wrap_width. If the string you add to the url doesn’t take you to the option you’re querying, then the option has not yet been implemented and explained on the web site.
- Like css and Git, Sublime employs a cascade. It’s seven levels deep, and the highlighted entry below (item 3) is the file this web site creates. The order of the cascade for preferences files and their paths, from least important to most, is…
Note: Because of Sublime’s cascade, duplicate values at the default level (1) and the user level (3) are not included in the resulting preferences file. This is because it’s redundant to include the same value for the same option. For example, choosing Monokai as your color scheme is the same as not choosing it, since it’s the default color scheme. Only options that differ between the default and user choices are generated by this web site. The exceptions, however, are the options
SETTINGS BOUND TO A PROJECT
BUFFER SPECIFIC SETTINGS
show_full_path, because these are overridden by the operating system preferences in level 2 of Sublime’s cascade.
- The many options and explanations mean that reading about and choosing each option could take hours. At the moment, only the resulting file can be bookmarked; A future implementation will allow users to bookmark their progress so they can pick up where they left off.
- However long it takes, investing time in understanding and configuring Sublime’s text editing features will save users oodles of time over their career as a student of web design/programming and/or as a web designer/programmer. Knowledge is ginchy!